Sunday 28 April 2013

Methodology Output - Exhibition

Through looking at what I want to achieve, I am getting to the stage where I have a rough idea of how I wish to proceed with my project after I've created my body of work. With two halves of a face on each side of a book, one might suggest that it makes sense to establish some sort of 'flick book' or journal full of my images. I'm here to say that I am choosing not to do so, and here's why.

My work is not something where you can 'flick through' and expect to grasp it's concept. Quite the opposite. I would expect that viewers take the take to really examine the detail within. Spot the differences, pick out and dissect the two opposing sides that the characters deliver, only then will you fully grasp the depth of my concept.

Make-up can be bold, but it can also be subtle. These subtle differences may be all that each person believes transforms them to an acceptable standard. For such subtleties to available for examination, I must present on a larger scale.

For my output, I would hold an exhibition. This exhibition will not feature other people, and by having room for just me, it gives the audience focus on the concept at hand, and undoubtedly creates space for reflection.

Where?

The exhibition would be held at the Nucleus Arts gallery shop in Rochester. This is not to be easily confused with any gallery spaces they also own for such an occasion. For the shop's clean-cut furnishing style, and comfortably-sized store, I would ask of them that I could set up a three-day long exhibition of my work. Reasons for choosing such a place would be that:

- It isn't too big, therefore it's justifiable for one exhibitor
- It's local, which means those of whom I consider important can easily turn up
- The shop itself supports a wide variety of artwork, being an eclectic store








How?

With an opportunity like this where I can freely express my artwork, the Nucleus Arts Shop has the perfectly sized place for me to set up my shots for display. Without sounding unreasonable, I would run a fundraiser to help me assist with costs to cover them over the three days.

For Lighting, I would choose to have fairly traditional Ceiling spotlights, the type that can illuminate a strip of wall. These lights are ideal for drawing focus on the artwork that really matters. By using such lights, I will keep the audience focused on what is important.



Thankfully for the me, the shop comes equipped with ceiling spotlights that match the exact style that I want, so all I would require for further insurance is to ask if it's acceptable that I use such lights for my own exhibition.


Print Size

The subject of print size another controversial issue. I wish for viewers to examine the characters, but I do not wish to 'expose' those included either. This balance has informed my decision to print at a respectable size of A3+. A3 itself was a little too modest, not quite presenting the photograph for all it is. A2 was a good size, but it was starting to show them off as some sort of models in a grand experiment - and I wanted to pay my respects to those who were happy to include themselves in my project, and keep the size relatively safe. Thus informing my decision for A3+/Super A3, creating a healthy balance between the two points.


Mounting/Framing

After looking at many frames, none really stood out as helpful towards aiding my body work's message. Ultimately, frames in general were a hindrance to fulfilling clear and concise communication. The border was a break between the pairs of images, and was more of a visual barrier than anything else. So I have settled to go with a mounting of some sort. I would not print onto a canvas, but I would prefer my images on glossy photo paper that can then be placed onto either a wooden mount, or foam board. Foam board would be a cheap answer, but I feel it does not reflect the value at which each image should be considered. I feel there is a sense of value to be had from the images, and therefore I would prefer that value be shown - foam board does not show that. n my ideal situation, the photographs would be first mounted onto a thin layer of MDF wood to give it stability beyond the paper. From there, I would then have a wooden frame cut to size around the edge of the back. I would prefer this wood be painted white before mounted onto the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment