Saturday 27 April 2013

Double Identity Test Shots - Before and After




As you can see, these are my tests. I originally wanted to capture the essence of each person's 'before' and 'after' shot as a passport photo, this was a preliminary placeholder pose for characters as I hadn't fully decided on my final outcome. I wanted the photos to be natural, I didn't want to create any sort of staged attributes when shooting, aside from the compulsory passport style. They could be whatever they wanted within the frame.

From my experience of doing this, I could begin to see the changes in emotion through their transformation from the person they are inside, and the person they are outside. There is a real sense of dual personality playing within most of the portraits for me, and the difference in emotion was interesting. Whilst some portraits give small indications towards feeling happier in make-up, many girls looked and felt more relaxed being themselves without any modifications. The battle between the two appearances for me needed to be amplified with some clever camera positioning.

After editing through the photos (as previewed in a previous post) you can see that the split halves of the face works very well, but for technical reasons, the quality of my initial set of photographs did not live up to the standards I wanted, especially since I was shooting the whole face and then cropping. I needed to photograph with extreme precision emphasized on the positioning, and the amount of face filling up the frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment