Thursday 21 November 2013

Major Project Shoot (Photoshoot #1)

This is my first open collection of images, slightly altered in colour to represent what I strive to show in my final set of images at Free Range at the end of the year. Comments are completely welcome, as long as they critically aid in improving my methods for the next time.




These photos taken represented my first attempt to scour the area for places I could visit further. Unfortunately, my stay was cut short by the appalling weather. I arrived at Grain, camera in hand, and an empty SD card. Isle of Grain was a great place to start off as it gave me somewhere to explore a widely varying cluster of facilities, all in the energy business. Much like Epstein, the comment is subtle, leaving the viewer to take in what is presented.




Many places were far away or simply out of reach due to their distance of security or deliberate placing of the facility. In a power-hungry world, we are greeted with those over-bearing electrical statues all interconnected, and fuelling the world with their wires showing to the world. It's amazing that we as a society are still burning rock-like materials as fuels for the modern generation of slim technology and snazzy gadgetry.




The appearance of the buildings are all so dull, and many taint the surrounding lakes, marshes, and plants. Personally, I believe they stick out like sore thumbs, and are unattractive. But there has to be a compromise for a world increasingly power-needy. Our country has many of these places dotted around the countryside, desperately trying to bodge in and blend their way into obscurity, without causing trouble. Yet, the damage is greater than just visual appearance.




No comments:

Post a Comment